23 February 2007

Solaris 10 Network Admin Course

Well, this week was pretty interesting to say the least, I was on the Solaris 10 network admin course at Sun's UK headquarters, and I've gotta say that this has been the best course that I've been on at Sun so far. You can find more details about the course here http://uk.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/SA-300-S10.xml. The first two days of the course were pure networking, which was great, although I seriously detest working out subnets. There were also sections that I knew, and feel very confident about for the exam, namely Bind, DHCPd and XNTPd, the sections on IPv6 and IPFilter were really worthwhile though. The great part about the course though was for a change the instructor seriously had security in mind, even to the point of showing the class how to exploit the Solaris telnetd vulnerability. Okay, so it's not the most complex exploit, but it was still mind blowing to be shown that on a course at Sun. :-) Okay so the lecturer was contracted to teach the course and not a Sun employee, but it was still great. There were also constant references to security throughout the course, which makes a great change from the other courses that I've been on at Sun in the past. Before I went on the course I was planning on sitting the SCNA exam next Friday. To be honest though, after spending a week on the course, I think that a couple of weeks will be a better bet, I really want to make sure that I get through the exam first time. I'll let you know how the exam goes when I go and sit it, I'm hoping to book it sometime this weekend. Well, till next time, and remember: telnet -l -froot Solaris10host ciao If You Want Peace... Prepare For War from the album "Are You Dead Yet?" by Children Of Bodom

No comments: